Thank you for applying for potential Fuel Fund assistance. Please know that financial assistance which may be provided to you is a result of generous donations from individuals, community foundations and businesses. The Fuel Fund receives no Federal, State or City financial assistance.
Before you begin your application, you should understand how the Fuel Fund works. Please print out this page for your records.
Step 1: Apply.
Apply online. Please note: The Fuel Fund of Maryland’s main office does not see clients in person and can only assist BGE customers with utility assistance. But, bulk fuel clients can be statewide.
Step 2: Fuel Fund Processes Your Application
Once we receive your application for assistance, our team will look at your BGE account and your application with Energy Assistance (Office of Home Energy). At this time, we are currently processing applications within 2 to 3 business days. As we process your application, we will:
- Verify the status of your application with Energy Assistance
- Verify your income
- Check the status of your BGE account
- Gather information on your total account balance, grants provided by any state agencies such as the Department of Social Services and Energy Assistance
- If you are requesting help with bulk fuel (ex: heating oil, propane, kerosene, wood pellets, etc.) we’ll still check your application with Energy Assistance. We will contact your vendor to confirm you have an active account with them then send them our commitment to make a purchase. The Fuel Fund does not assist with paying bulk fuel bills, we can only help with a one-time purchase.
Step 3: Your Payment
After we’ve calculated your portion of the bill to pay, we’ll contact you via email (if you provided one in your application) or phone. At this time, we will tell you how much to pay directly to BGE, how to make your payment, and what to do after you make your payment.
Please note: the Fuel Fund's assistance model has changed so you may be asked to make a larger payment to BGE than you may have in previous years.
Step 4: Making Your Payment
When you make your payment to BGE, you need to contact Fuel Fund to let us know that you paid. You can tell us about your payment by responding to the email we sent you that told you how much to pay, or by calling us at (410) 235-9080 Option 2. Regardless of how you tell us about your payment, we need to know:
- Your BGE Account Number
- How much you paid
- How/Where did you pay (Western Union, Paymetus, ACE Check Cashing)
- When you made the payment
- Confirmation # you received when you made your payment
Step 5: Fuel Fund makes the Commitment
Once you report your payment to us, we will verify your payment with BGE and make our commitment. If there are any problems with making your commitment, we will contact you again.
Note: Fuel Fund’s payments can take up to 3 weeks to post to your account, because of that you will not receive a bill showing a zero balance, as BGE will most likely have read your meter during that time.
Application successfully submitted!
The Fuel Fund of Maryland has received your request for assistance. Our staff will review your application and contact you by email once eligibility has been determined. Any attempt to contact the Fuel Fund of Maryland after submitting this application will result in processing delays.
Please remember the Fuel Fund will contact you through the email address you provided on your application.
Oops! We already have an application for you!
Our records indicate that you currently have an open application with us for this year.
We're sorry, an error occured when submitting your application
If the problem persists, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org