Additional Resources

Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP)

Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP) is a year round program that you can apply to at any time. But, you must re-apply each fiscal year (July 1st - June 30th). You do not need a turn-off notice to qualify for assistance. 

Apply through one of the following methods:

Keep Your Power On

To learn more about how to Keep Your Power on go to the Office of People’s Counsel Keep Your Power On Toolkit

211 Maryland United Way Helpline

211 Maryland United Way Helpline provides utility assistance resources. Search the database for Utility Bill Payment Assistance in your area, or dial 2-1-1. You can also text My211MD to 898-211 for Basic Needs Resource Alerts. 

Do you need help paying your utility bills?

Do you need help negotiating with the utility company?

Public Service Commission (PSC)

Public Service Commission (PSC)  regulates gas, electric, telephone, water, and sewage disposal companies. The Consumer Affairs Division responds to complaints from consumers about regulated public utilities and licensed electric and gas suppliers operating within the state.

Consumers Resources

Resources and Support

Agencies and Associations


Office of People's Counsel (OPC)

Office of People’s Counsel (OPC)  works to represent Maryland’s residential consumers of electric, natural gas, telecommunications, private water and certain transportation matters. Receives complaints about utility rates and services and offers resource for community assistance.

WAYS TO CONTACT OPCSend an email to If you have an email address and internet access, this is the best way to contact OPC. The web emails are reviewed several times a day.  

Call 410-767-8150 or 1-800-207-4055 and leave a detailed voice mail message: name, phone number, email address if you have one, and the subject of your call. The messages are reviewed several times a day, and a staff member will contact you. 

If you have been working on a matter with an OPC staff member, you can contact that person by using their personal email or calling the general phone lines to leave a message.